Each of the Chapters in the Florida Society are named for prominent men or units
that served the Cause of the South.
BGEN Theodore W. Brevard
Brevard was born 26 August 1835 as was a graduate of the USMA. He raised the Brevard Partisan Rangers in
1861 and attained the rank of Major in 1863. Brevard
later became colonel in command of the 11th Florida following their victory at Olustee. With his regiment, he joined Lee’s
army on the eve of Cold Harbor, taking part in the famous counterattack by the newly reconstituted Florida Brigade that saved
the day for the Confederate cause. He became Adjutant General to General Robert E. Lee and was captured with most of his regiment at the battle of
Sayler’s Creek in April 1865. He had been a general for a little more than a week. He died 20 June
1882 and is buried in the St. John’s Episcopal Church Cemetery in Tallahassee, Florida. Brevard County,
Florida is named in his honor.
Brigadier General Theodore W. Brevard Chapter of the Florida Society received its Charter at Indialantic, Florida on 19 October
1989 and was assigned Chapter Number 10. The Charter Members were; Major Aubrey R. Bates, Walter E, Hall, Carl E.
Smith, Charles H. Bronson and John G. Spooner. At the Chartering Ceremony Dr. Richard M. Lancaster was sworn in
as a member.
Commanders of the Chapter have been, in chronological order, John E. Spooner, James L. Patton, Carl E. Smith, Dr.
Richard M. Lancaster and James E. Rowe, Jr. Commander Lancaster passed away 17 November 2005 and with him
a great deal of chapter knowledge. The Chapter has nine active members and is restructuring itself currently
so as to begin regular meetings and activities.
One of the Chapter's projects was expanded into the General Society's Ancestral Research Committee and we are looking
forward to founding the General Society's Ancestral Research Library.
CAPT Asa A. Stewart
was chartered 23 February 1988 by Commander Kenneth Havird, Lt. Commander Kurt Barvo Havird, Adjutant C. F. Johns, III, C.
F. Johns, Jr. and Christopher M. Johns. It was named for Captain Asa A. Stewart who has become a legend in Florida. As a Captain,
he commanded a Company in the 2nd Regiment, Brigade of Florida Foot Militia during the Florida Seminole Indian Wars from November
29, 1840 to February 28, 1841. With the outbreak of hostilities in 1861 Capt. Stewart served with the 2nd
Florida Battalion Partisan Rangers. He then raised an Independent Company that was mustered in on March 4, 1863.
This same company was one of eight that formed the 6th Florida Infantry Battalion on September 11, 1863. Later this
battalion would become the 9th Florida Infantry and fight at Olustee on 20 February 1864. At
the age of 51, Captain Stewart resigned his position on 7 June 1864 due to his health but he remained in the Florida Home
Guard until the end of the war. The 9th Florida went to Virginia where they fought at Cold Harbor,
Petersburg Siege, Weldon Railroad, Reams Station, Bellfield, Hatchers Run, Farmville and surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse
April 9, 1865.
was instrumental in having an historical marker and iron cross in honor of Captain Stewart dedicated at the Chambers
Cemetery, Columbia County, Florida on Saturday, 9 November 2002.
Currently Robert Tucker is the Commander and Adjutant. The Chapter has five active members.
CAPT J. J. Dickison
Captain J. J. Dickison of
Orange Lake, Florida, after whom the Chapter was named, was born in Georgetown, South Carolina, and lived there through early
manhood before moving to Florida. He served as a 1st Lieutenant with the Marion Light Artillery and then as a Captain
commanded Company "H", 2nd Florida Cavalry, C.S.A., and other additional troops which from time to time were placed
under his command. He led his cavalry with such courage, tactical skill, and extraordinary success against far superior Yankee
forces in Florida that his exploits read like fiction. In his own time he became a legend throughout the State of Florida.
After the War, he served as Major General of State Troops, as Adjutant General of the State of Florida, and as Commander of
the Florida Division of the United Confederate Veterans. He is buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Jacksonville, Florida.
Through the efforts of Dean
Boggs, on July 13, 1971, the following male descendants of Commissioned Officers who served in the Confederate States Army
petitioned the Commander-in-Chief of The Military Order of the Stars and Bars for a charter in Jacksonville, Florida, to be
known as the captain J. J. Dickison Chapter: Kenneth W. Ackis, Sr., Dean Boggs, Thomas Jonathan Jackson Christian, Horace
Mann Emerson, Henry Hollingsworth Harris, Jr., Charles Cook Howell, Jr., John Joseph Powell, Jr., Joseph A. Livingston, Jr.,
James H. Mabry, Giles J. Patterson, Jr., and R. Kirven Slade. The chapter was chartered on July 26, 1971.
Besides directly supporting the
activities of the Museum of Southern History, compatriots specifically recognize the heroic contributions of their officer
ancestors and Southern leadership at all levels at their Annual Dining-In in October or November. In recent years they have
provided support for the efforts to recover and preserve historical artifacts from the U. S. S. Maple Leaf, sunk by a Confederate
torpedo/mine team off Mandarin Point in the St. Johns on 1 April 1864. The Chapter co-sponsors the annual
Confederate Ball, an event that has run for 39 years. The proceeds from the Ball go to help support The
Museum of Southern History.
COL L. M. Park
M. Park was born (Nov. 1851) in Greenville, Meriwether Co., GA and as a very young man joined the Confederate Army as a private.
He was assigned to Camp Sumter in Andersonville, GA and soon found himself on the staff of the Camp Commander, Captain
Wirz, as a clerk. Park was with Captain Wirz for the final year of the war. Tragically,
Captain Wirz was given a quick military trial without the opportunity of defense and hung 10 November 1865, an event that
caused Park to spend his life trying to vindicate the good name of Captain Wirz. Following the war, Park was active in the
UCV becoming a Camp Commander and later a Regimental Commander where he was given the title of Colonel. Park
wrote many articles defending Captain Wirz and Camp Sumter against the criticism that was widely circulated through the north,
perhaps our first experience in having the victor write history as he wanted to see it. Many of his articles
were published in the early issues of The Confederate War Journal and The Confederate Veteran. They
describe life at Camp Sumter in a way not found in other publications. He died and is buried in Atlanta,
The Colonel L. M. Park chapter was
chartered on 17 December 1984 by Commander Donald Lee Wehr, Lt. Commander William D. Hogan, Adjutant John B. Baumgardner,
III, James H. Brannon, Dr, Charles C. Carleton, MD, Dr. Rev. Daniel C. Coleman, DD, John Crozier, Eli Madison Dews, William
A. Evans, Joseph S. White, III, Gordon Albert Griggs, Joseph S. Guernsey, Daniel J. LeFevre, James Kirk Lowe, Jeffrey Kent
Smith and J. Lester Williams, Jr. Of these men, only Donald Lee Wehr is still active in the Chapter which today has nine active
members. Lemuel was married twice. His second wife Louise H was born Apr 1877 and they had two children,
Harold H. b. 29 Jan 1897 d. 3 Oct 1975 Atlanta and Arther b. Jun 1899 and Madison b. 1902. With his first wife, he had two
sons, Howard P. b. May 1879 (1920 Pres. Cotton Mill, LaGrange, Troup Co., GA) and Emery R. b. Jun 1882 and a daughter, Mary
b. Jul 1884. In 1900, he was living in Rough Edge, Troup Co., GA and engaged in textile manufacturing.
COL Francis S. Bartow
The Francis S. Bartow Chapter,
Military Order of the Stars and Bars was chartered on June 17, 1985 in Bartow,
Florida. The Chapter was named for the Francis S. Bartow Camp of the United Confederate Veterans which was organized on June
17, 1893 at the Polk County Court House in Bartow. The Chapter and City were both named to honor Colonel Francis S. Bartow
who was born September 6, 1816 in Savannah, Georgia and who gave his life for the Confederacy in the First Battle of Manassas
July 21, 1861. He was the first Confederate Brigade Commander to be killed.
One of the first projects of the Chapter was to identify Confederate Officers and enlisted soldiers buried in local
cemeteries. A total of 35 officers were located in Bartow alone and were honored
by publication of an Honor Roll. On January 19, l990 the Chapter erected and rededicated a granite monument marking the site
of the home of Confederate Major General Evander M. Law who resided in the city from 1893 to 1920. In addition the Chapter
was instrumental in the City of Bartow's Proclamation and establishment of Major General E.M. Law Day. Confederate
Memorial Day, April 26th, is annually observed by the placement of flags on the graves of confederate veterans and Confederate
Monuments located in the city.
The Chapter has been led by Commanders Wm. Lloyd Harris 1985-1992, Bob Bass 1993-1994, and Robert H. Snead 1995-Present.
The Chapter has had one Adjutant Mark A. Hall 1985-Present.
The Francis S. Bartow Chapter
has 12 members and holds quarterly meetings in Bartow, Florida.
Gainesville GEN William Miller
Miller was born 3 August 1830 in Ithaca, NY. As a young man he relocated along with his family to Louisiana. He attended Louisiana College and served with Zachary Taylor in the Mexican War. For his service, he was given 40 acres in Florida by the U. S. Government. He studied
law and engaged in a private practice in Santa Rosa Co., FL. He was active in the timber and lumber business in northwest Florida prior to the War.
Miller recruited a militia unit and became it’s major. He and his men eventually joined the 1st Florida Infantry where he became its first colonel in August 1862. Later that year, he fought at the Battle of Perryville, KY 8 October 1862, suffering a minor wound. In the Battle of Murfreesboro 31 December 1862 – 2 January 1863, where he was severely wounded. He returned home to Florida to recuperate for several
months prior to being placed in charge of the Confederate Conscript Bureau for Alabama and Florida. On August 2, 1864, Miller was promoted to brigadier general and asked to organize the state's reserve troops as the new commander of the Florida District. He raised and commanded the
1st Florida Reserves, a regiment recruited to help defend the state, as most of the regular Confederate troops were serving elsewhere. His most prominent
action came at the Battle of Natural Bridge (Woodville, FL) 6 March 1865, where he was the tactical field commander in defeating Union forces under John Newton. His men repelled three separate Union attacks during the 12-hour battle. It was the second time Union forces were denied
in their effort to capture the Florida State Capital in Tallahassee. Thus Florida became the only Confederate State east of the Mississippi to retain its State Capitol until
the end of the War when General Miller and his men were finally compelled to surrender in Tallahassee, May 1865. He died 8 August 1909 and was initially
buried in Point Washington Cemetery, but in 1922, he and his wife were exhumed and reinterred in St. Johns Cemetery in Pensacola, Florida.
The Chapter was chartered 7 May 1984 in Gainesville, FL. The
first Chapter Officers and Charter Members were Commander Ernest W. “Buddy” Burch, Jr., Lt. Commander Robert G.
“Bob” McLendon, Adjutant Michael D. Harden, William A. Bessent, III, Ernest W. "Trey" Burch,
III, Robert G. McLendon, Sr. and John N. Reames.
The Chapter shares its functions and events with the 2nd
Florida Cavalry Camp, Confederate Sons Association of Florida and the Kirby Smith Chapter 202, United Daughters of the Confederacy. Annual
events include the Lee - Jackson Dinner and Confederate Memorial Day festivities. Meetings are monthly and
held jointly with the 2nd Florida Cavalry Camp, CSA of Florida.
LCOL William Baya
Colonel William Baya, the son of Menorcan settlers, was born in St. Augustine, Florida on 23 January 1834. He served as an
Orderly Sergeant early in the war. He then served as 1st Lieutenant, Confederate Marines aboard the CSS Jeff Davis
until the ship ran aground at the entrance to St. Augustine and was lost. He then organized and commanded
Grayson’s Artillery which was re-designated as Company D, 8th Florida Infantry Regiment where he was commissioned a Captain. This company was mustered
into Confederate Service in May 1862. Promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in January 1863, he commanded the
8th Florida Infantry at the Battle of Gettysburg. They served under GEN A. P. Hill’s Corps where on the third
day they participated in Pickett’s Charge. He was wounded twice and captured three times, the last being at Saylor’s
Creek, Virginia on 6 April 1865. Lieutenant Colonel Baya died on 1 July 1903 and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Jacksonville,
The Lieutenant Colonel William Baya Chapter 140, Military Order of the Stars and Bars # 140, was charted on 26 April
1991. Chartering ceremonies were held on 18 December 1991 at the home of its first Commander, Colonel John J. Masters, Sr.,
U. S. Army Retired, at 3000 Usina Road, St. Augustine, Florida. The Charter was presented by E. Price Landrum III, Commander,
Florida Society, Military Order of the Stars and Bars.
Charter members were Colonel John J. Masters, Commander, and his two sons Major John J. Masters, Jr., Florida Army
National Guard, Adjutant/ Treasurer and Captain Burton L. Masters U. S. Army; Kenneth Beesen, N. Putnam Calhoun, Lieutenant Commander Michael H. Charles, Captain Benjamin
Hudgens, James V. Perry, Sr., John G. R. Rountree and his son Robert L. Shreve-Rountree. Four of the charter members, the
three Masters and Kenneth Beeson are cousins of Lieutenant Colonel William Baya and another cousin would join later.
Masters has been a committee of one in locating the graves of over 167 Confederate Soldiers and Sailors in St. Johns County
and mounting 57 Veterans Administration Head Stones on graves of Confederate Soldiers in the County. As the Graves Chairman
for the Florida Society, Colonel Masters has been instrumental in locating the graves of 9,820 Confederate Soldier’s
and Sailors buried in the state and over 4,200 Florida Soldiers who died outside the state of Florida.
Chapter donated part of the funds for the purchase of the just published "Biographical Rosters of Florida's Confederate
and Union Soldiers, 1861-1865" to be donated to the St. Augustine Genealogical Society to be put in the Main Public
Library of St. Augustine.
Commander Masters has attended eight State and seven National MOSB Conventions. The Chapter co-hosted the Florida Society,
Military Order of the Stars and Bars annual Convention in St. Augustine, Florida in June 1994.
The Chapters losses are mostly from deaths, namely Robert Shreve-Rountree and N. Putnam Calhoun. One member, Michael
Charles transferred out but remains an associate member. The Chapter gained three members Fred Chauvin, Charles E. Stevens,
Jr. and one transfer Robert Kuykendall, Jr. Commander of the Florida Society Military Order of the Stars and Bars.
At the election on 30 March 1995 Colonel Masters was reelected Commander, Major John J. Masters, Jr. was elected Adjutant/Treasurer
and Fred Chauvin elected Lieutenant Commander, due to the resignation of N. Putnam Calhoun on 21 March 1995, and Charles E. Stevens, Jr. was elected Chaplain. Colonel Masters continued as Chapter
Commander until the election in 2002 when Mike Pomar was elected Commander and James S. Davis was appointed Adjutant/Treasurer
to replace John J. Masters Jr. Meanwhile, Commander Pomar had been elected Lieutenant Commander of the Florida Society. The
Chapter was very active under Commander Pomar's leadership and even published a Chapter newsletter on 7 June 2004; James S.
Davis resigned as Adjutant Treasurer.
In 2006, since Commander Pomar did not call for the annual election of Chapter Officers the then Adjutant/Treasurer
Talmadge S. Skinner called a special election to select Camp Officers. Elected were James S. Davis, Commander, Richard Lee,
Lieutenant Commander and Talmadge S. Skinner, Adjutant/Treasurer. The Chapter continued to prosper under Commander Davis's
leadership until circumstance caused Richard Lee and James S. Davis to resign from the Military Order of the Stars and Bars.
The Chapter was then left leaderless and adrift. Charter Commander Colonel John J. Masters, Sr. assumed the position of Acting
Commander and sent all nine members a notice of what happened and a ballot and a list of nominated members for office. The
response was very encouraging. Elected were Herbert M. Greenleaf, Commander; Lt. Colonel John J. Masters, Jr. Lieutenant Commander;
and Colonel John J. Masters, Sr. Adjutant/Treasurer.
The Chapter has participated in all the Sons of Confederate veterans Camp and the Ancient City Chapter, United Daughters
of the Confederacy activities since its founding including Lee/Jackson/Baya birthdays dinner in January, Confederate Memorial
Day in April, cemetery ceremonies when mounting head stones throughout the year; General Loring's birth and death in December
and marking the birth of General E. Kirby Smith at his home where he was born on Aviles Street in downtown St. Augustine.
the fall of 2007 Donald Booth and Colonel Masters decorated the graves of Confederate Officers in Evergreen, Cemetery.
In February 2008 Colonel Masters decorated the graves of Confederate Officers in San Lorenzo Cemetery.
The Chapter is financially sound and healthy. All dues are paid up to date to State and National. It would be well
if the Chapter could be more active but, the Chapter has only nine members and four of them live out of the County and State.
Lt. James Duke
was chartered on 1 March 1991 by Dr. Duke N. Stern, Lawton Swan and Russell Waters. The Chapter is named
in honor of 3rd Lieutenant James B. Duke who served in Capt. Edwin M. Holloway’s Alabama Calvary Company.
The Charter members continue to be active. The Commander since its beginning is Dr. Duke N. Stern and Lawton Swan has
served as Adjutant. The Chapter meets on an irregular basis due to the geographic separation of the members
but they have been active in supporting the Confederate Memorial Hall in New Orleans, the Confederate Museum in Richmond and
the Order of the Southern Cross.
MAJ William I. Turner
was named for William I. Turner, 8th Florida Infantry. The 8th Florida was at Gettysburg along with
the Florida 2nd and 5th and suffered terrible losses. The 8th Florida was involved in some
of the most difficult fighting as a member of the Army of Northern Virginia.
The Chapter chartered before 1980 but unfortunately no exact date is known. The Chapter has thirteen
active members. The Commander has been Jack Boland since 1980 and the Adjutant has been James Hayward since 1980 as well.
The Chapter has thirteen active members and meets 3 to 4 times a year.
The FLORIDA MARION DRAGOONS CAVALRY COMPANY was organized at Marianna on 14 March 1862. It mustered in there for three
years or the duration of the war on 26 April 1862. Its battle flag was a 4 X 6 foot 2nd National
which was made by the ladies of Citra, Florida and received much use. The Dragoons were later assigned, as Company C, of the
2nd Florida Cavalry Regiment. Its first Commander was Captain Richard L. Smith and it was part
of the Department of Middle and Eastern Florida and later the District of Middle Florida, Department of South Carolina, Georgia
and Florida. It saw its first combat on 7 April 1863 at St. Andrew's Bay, Florida.
The 2nd Florida Cavalry Regiment was organized with 1,190 men during the late spring of 1862. Its members were from
Melton and Tallahassee, and the counties of St. John, Marion, Gadsden, and Madison. The unit was attached to the Department
of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, and served in Florida throughout the war. It fought at Olustee, Gainesville, and
Braddock's Farm, and surrendered at Tallahassee on 10 May 1865. Colonel Caraway Smith, Lieutenant Colonel Abner H. McCormick,
and Major Robert Harrison were in command.
Marion Dragoons Chapter #164 located in Ocala, Florida was chartered on 8 January 1983. The Dragoons meet on the second Tuesday
evening of each month together with other Confederate heritage interest groups so as to assure a better program.
The Marion Dragoons Chapter along with the support of the Florida Society MOS&B have honored the memory of the
Confederate Officer Corps in Headstone and Cemetery Dedications within Marion County and at our local Veterans Park. The Chapter
has placed the MOS&B colored logo on the fifty-five foot section of the Confederate wall located on the East end of the
park on street side seen by thousands every day.
chapter flies the Confederate flags on the three Florida Confederate holidays; 19 January (Robert E. Lee’s
Birthday), 26 April (Confederate Memorial day) and 3 June (President Jefferson Davis’ Birthday). General
Lee's HQ flag is also flown on 19 June. We hold Memorial services at our Chapter meetings including the use of candlelight
and remember our Confederate officers by name, rank and unit. We have participated in local parades and put on educational
programs for the local schools and history groups in the area. We have supplied displays at our local library on Confederate
history and in some Museums.
The Marion Dragoons Chapter #164 and the Florida Society MOS&B take great pride in support of the Florida Division
Children of the Confederacy through there local Chapter (The Marion Hornets) and on the State level in the Educational Stand
to preserve the History and Heritage of the Confederate Officer Corp and its Government Leaders for future generations.
CAPT William J. Rogers
The Chapter was named for William J. Rogers. From The History of Brooks County Georgia 1858-1948
(p. 112) Rogers joined Co. I, 13th Georgia Infantry in 1861. It was reorganized in May 1862 as 26th Georgia
Infantry and shortly after designated as Company C. The date is not shown for his election to 2nd Lieutenant
but he was promoted to 1st Lieutenant 2 February 1863 and to Captain 1 October 1863. His muster
card shows he was taken as a Prisoner of War near Petersburg, VA Oct 1864.
The Capt. William J. Rogers Chapter 212 was organized 15 March 1995 in Kissimmee, Osceola County, Florida. Charter
members consisted of Murray L. Rogers, Mark A. Rogers, M. Randolph Prine, John E. Carroll III, and Reidy Williams.
The chapter presently has nine active members. Current officers are: Commander Marshall L. Brewton, Jr., Lt. Commander
Mark A. Rogers, and Adjutant William W. Pearce, Jr. The chapter has located the gravesites of ten Confederate officers buried
in Osceola County, Florida. The chapter co-sponsors “The Battle at Narcoossee Mill” annual War Between The States
reenactment which includes an Education Day for area schoolchildren. It also contributes annually to “Confederate Christmas”
which consists of blind monetary donations to needy families, the families being selected by a local Church. The chapter also
participates in Confederate Memorial Day services.
CAPT John N. Maffitt
The CAPT John Maffitt Chapter was established 1 July 1991 by Charter members Commander Dr. Fred McNary, Lt. Commander
Paul Steven Baltzegar, Adjutant James Yates, William G. Rose and Robert Elliott in Daytona Beach, Florida.
It was named after CAPT John Newland Maffitt, the commander of the Confederate Navy’s first commerce raider,
CSS Florida which in a single cruise destroyed or captured 47 U. S. merchantmen. He was born at sea on
22 February 1819 and entered the U. S. Navy as a Midshipman in February 1832. In May 1861 Lieutenant Maffitt
resigned his commission and became a First Lieutenant in the Confederate States Navy. Maffitt attained
the rank of Commander in the Confederate Navy and commanded the ironclad ram USS Albemarle and ended the war commanding blockade
runners. After the war he became a merchant ship captain and in 1870 commanded a warship for the Cuban
revolutionaries. He died in Wilmington, NC 15 May 1886.
CAPT John “Sea Ghost” Wood #288
John Taylor Wood was born in Minnesota on 13 August 1830. He was the nephew of President Jefferson
Davis and joined the U.S. Navy at the USNA in April 1847, graduating second in his class in 1853. He served
at sea during the latter part of the Mexican War off the coast of Africa and the Mediterranean. He resigned
from the U.S. Navy in April 1861.
At the outbreak of hostilities,
he sold his Maryland farm and moved his family to Richmond where in October 1861 he received a commission as a First Lieutenant
in the Confederate Navy. He had been training gunners for CSS Merrimack in Portsmouth,
VA and was on board Merrimack for the historic battle with Monitor. He was promoted to
Commander in May 1863. Simultaneously he held the rank of Colonel in the cavalry.
built in England, Atlanta launched on the Thames in March 1864 and made four trips from April to July 1864 with war
supplies for the South. She was purchased in Wilmington, NC for $125,000 and converted to a Confederate Cruiser (Merchant
raider) and renamed CSS Tallahassee. Commander Wood was named her Captain and on 4 August 1864
began the famous breakout through the fifty ships used to blockade Wilmington and began her impressive career as a commerce
raider on the east coast. Being unable to load adequate coal in Halifax, she headed toward Bermuda hoping
to refuel. On board yellow fever broke out and Captain Wood decided to return to Wilmington where Tallahassee
arrived on 28 August 1864 and anchored under the guns of Fort Fisher. Tallahassee’s days as a raider
under Wood were at an end. He was promoted to Captain in February 1865 and at the end of the war, he assisted
his uncle, President Jefferson Davis, in his attempt to escape and evade capture. Wood made his way to
Cuba and later to Halifax where he became a business man and died there 19 July 1904.
John "Sea Ghost" Wood Chapter #288 of the Florida Society MOSB was chartered on 11 May 2004 in Miami, Florida. The
Charter was presented at the Annual State Convention in Palatka and was one of the last documents that Dr. Fred McNary signed
before his passing.
Chapter was chartered with five members who are still active today. The Chapter has had representatives at Confederate Memorial Day
and local events involving Confederate Heritage. The Chapter has also been represented at every State convention since
it was chartered.
COL David Lang
Few have walked across the stage of history in such grand fashion as David Lang. He was the second oldest of eight
children, born to Robert and Margaret Atkinson Lang in Camden County Georgia in 1838.
He was educated at the Georgia Military Institute, in Marietta, Georgia, and graduated in 1857 at the age of 19. After
his graduation, he came to Florida and was elected surveyor of Suwannee Co., Florida. After Florida seceded from the Union,
he enlisted as a private with the Gainesville Minuteman (more commonly known as Company H, 1st Florida infantry).
He was appointed 1st Sergeant and served for one year.
In the spring
of 1862, after raising a company, he was elected Captain and moved with his unit to Richmond, Virginia. Captain Lang and his
men saw action in some of the heaviest fighting during the next three years. He was severely wounded in the battle of Sharpsburg,
where his courage and leadership were recognized. He commanded the 8th Florida Infantry during the fighting at
Fredericksburg, where he was once again wounded. He was cited for bravery and was promoted to full colonel.
After General Perry’s illness, Colonel Lang took command of the Florida Brigade at the beginning of the Pennsylvania
campaign. On the third day of fighting at Gettysburg, Colonel Lang and his Florida Brigade wrote their special part of history.
Along with Wilcox’s brigade of Alabamians, Colonel Lang’s unit was called upon to make one last push against the
Yankees. Although the command to advance over the same ground that three divisions had failed to win (including General Pickett
and his division) was absurd, Lang and Wilcox did advance, with misgivings. They were met with stiff resistance and ultimately
had to retreat, but not before many men were killed or captured by the Union forces.
The Army of Northern Virginia never recovered from the defeat at Gettysburg, and finally, in April, 1865, Colonel David
Lang and the Florida Brigade surrendered with the rest of Lee’s army at Appomattox.
After the war ended, Colonel Lang married Mary Quarles Campbell, with whom he had four children. He worked as a civil
engineer until his former brigade commander, the newly elected governor of Florida, E. A. Perry, appointed him Adjutant General
of State Militia. He was instrumental in changing militia law when the new Florida constitution was adopted in 1885 and he
started the Florida National Guard. He stepped down as Adjutant General in 1893, but never lost his responsibility for the
soldiers of Florida. He then served as the private secretary for Governors Mitchell (1893-1897) and Bloxham (1897-1901), as
well as serving on the State Board of Pensions. He served as cashier of the Florida State Hospital in Chattahoochee from 1901
until his death in December 1917.
He lived a long and full life, and left
a great legacy of courage, leadership and compassion for the soldiers and citizens of Florida. We are truly honored to have
his name grace our chapter’s name.
On 17 July 2004 then
late-Commander Al Hammond Jr. had an organizational meeting of the Military Order of Stars & Bars at his home. Up for
discussion was the formation of an MOS&B chapter. The name that was chosen for the chapter was the Colonel David Lang Chapter #289, as Compatriot Al Hammond, Jr. and his wife Frankie had done existence research on Colonel David
Lang (see above).
The inaugural officers for the chapter
were Al Hammond Jr., Commander; Archie Matthews, 1st Lt. Commander; Arnold O’Steen, 2nd Lt. Commander
and Chaplain; Wilbur O’Steen, Adjutant; and Allen O’Steen, Treasurer.
The chapter was chartered on 7 October 2004. In attendance to present the charter and install the
officers were Randy Kerlin, Commander Florida Society MOS&B & MOS&B National Genealogist General; Mike Pomar,
State 1st Lt. Commander; Ed Page, State Adjutant; and Eric Hague, 7th Brigade Commander. Mrs. Frankie
Hammond read the history of Colonel David Lang.
It was decided
that all chapter meetings would be held quarterly (January, April, July and October) on the first Thursday night of the quarter
at a place to be determined.
The Chapter works closely with the John Hance O’Steen SCV Camp #770 and participates in roadside clean-ups, as
well as recruitment tables at various events around North Central Florida. The Chapter is also involved in headstone dedications,
living history events and cemetery clean-ups.